Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nick's Six: Best Sports (Movie) Plays EVER

This list needs no explanation. Let the debate rage.

Disclaimer: I will say that I don't want to hear anyone's shit about the floater from "Rookie of the Year." That play was horseshit and Henry Rowengartner is a bitch. Yes, I am partially biased because that pitch took the fictional 1994 Mets out of the fictional 1994 playoffs. Although I will give Henry props for enticing a runner to be picked off through a game of chicken.

1. The Annexation of Puerto Rico: This genius play entered our living room in the movie "Little Giants." It wasn't innovative, as it is basically just a very long version of "Fumblerooskie." But it went 99 yards, and helped to beat that bastard Kevin O'Shea and his team of future high school douchebags. The only problems I had with this movie are that the wide receiver cheats by using stick-um, and girls can't play football. Other than that -- it's a masterpiece.

Best line from the movie: "What a hunk. What am I talking about? I'm the Icebox. Icebox doesn't like boys. Except for that one..."

PS -- Look at the Icebox NOW.

2. Ahh...the ol' rosenbag as the ball, security guard stool, hidden ball trick: Although probably illegal, prodigious manager Billy Heywood in "Little Big League" got his team rolling with this play. It involved everyone, including the token African-American security guard. Add a montage to Dion's "Run Around Sue," and a bullhorn drowning out cuss words? Classic.

Best line from the movie: "What am I supposed to do? Go home and tell my wife I got cut by a 12-year-old but it's OK because he likes my baseball card?!"

3. The Catch: Before Jim Edmonds started making ridonculous catches for the Angels, Matthew McConaughey was doing it, but not without the help of some divine intervention. The only flaw in this movie is that it tells you believing in God will bring your deadbeat father back. Sorry, Roger...good luck on "Third Rock From the Sun." Also, this is the last movie I saw Matthew McConaughey in before I hated him (don't worry, "Dazed and Confused" came out a year earlier).

Best line from the movie: "I know who you are. I heard you on the radio. You sure do have a big chin."

4. Ricky Bobby's finish: If every NASCAR race ended like this (a firey wreck, followed by a a footrace to the finish, and ending with a simultaneous slow-motion dive), then I would consider tuning in.

Best line from the movie (not possible): "If you don't like Big Red, then Fuck you!"

5. The Jet steals home: OK, this play is at the end of "The Sandlot," but I mean...what other white guy besides Benny Rodriguez has ever stolen home? Please, I'd love to know. Then again he DOES look like Jacoby Ellsbury. I'd also love to know who made two sequels to this movie...they should be shot in the throwing arm.

Best line from the movie: "You play ball like a giiirrrrrrrrl!" (OBVIOUSLY)

6. Bobsled walk: There's nothing more touching than four Jamaicans carrying a sled down an icy hill while four Germans start a slow clap for them. "Cool Runnings" changed my life. Tears. But seriously, you can't tell me these guys would've past any routine IOC drug testing.

Best line from the movie: "I'm freezing my royal Rastafarian nay-nays off!"

2 comments:

TheFeatheredWarrior said...

"You're killing me Smalls!" should clearly be the best line from The Sandlot. It has staying power.

Also, how could you leave out A league of Their Own? "There's no crying in baseball!?!"

Other honorable mentions: Rudy, The Natural, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham...OK there really are too many here. I think this topic deserves a Nick's Six Part Duex.

Connor Tapp said...

I've yet to view these movies from the perspective of adulthood... I think doing so might very well yield hilarious results.