Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Steve’s Peeves: the 1st Installment

In a likely futile attempt to match the wit and humor of Nick’s Six, I introduce Steve’s Peeves. Aiming to combine Andy Rooney’s sarcasm on 60 Minutes and Peter Griffin’s clueless-ness on “What Really Grinds My Gears,” this column will be my outlet to vent on everything that is wrong with our world.

Why does everyone think they are the pre-2004 Red Sox? The 2008 Phillies are the latest example of a team that is winning a supposedly unattainable championship (see also: 2005 White Sox, 2008 Rays). Jayson Stark complains that only in Philadelphia would a long-awaited World Series championship be delayed by the supernatural force of rain. Like the pre-2004 Red Sox, the Phillies contend with a curse of their own. As Phillies fans ponder whether or not God hates them, let’s weigh their case against the pre-2004 Red Sox.

Length of curse

  • Red Sox: 85 years, since Babe Ruth was sold in 1919 as a result of the same antics that caused the team to unload Manny Ramirez in 2008.

  • Phillies: 21 years, since Philadelphia’s One Liberty Place skyscraper became the first to exceed William Penn’s statue in height*.


*It is worth noting that Philadelphia’s curse covers all Philadelphia sports. While the Red Sox failed to reclaim the World Series title for 86 years, their other teams had frequent success.

Length of championship drought

Circumstances of devastating letdowns

Hey, Philadelphia. Shut up.

4 comments:

Nick Carboni said...

bravo steve...well done...isn't it funny how all of those men have the same middle name? add to that list: David Fucking Price.

Leesh said...

I have two words for you Steve:

CHICAGO CUBS.

Steve said...

I have one number for you, Alicia:

1918

Anonymous said...

Um, the 2004 Boston Red Sox ended Boston's THREE YEAR championship drought! Oh poor you. The Patriots won in 2001. Celtics won in 1984 and 1986. "Red Sox Nation" needs to get over themselves.
I'm 20 years old and I've never seen a championship in my life! (Sixers won in 1983) This year I saw my first ever baseball playoff victory (I was too young to remember 1993). Since 1998, the Red Sox have won more playoff games then the Phillies have since their formation in 1883! That's right not 1983, 1883.
And that article says the only circumstances of heartbreak in Philadelphia was "rain?" Please.

Listen, I go to college in Boston, so this hits close to home...
So let's not pretend like the media didn't completely worship the breaking of the "curse" and the loyalty of "Red Sox Nation" in 2004. Now please, "Red Sox Nation," shut the fuck up and as I enjoy the first championship of my lifetime.