Sunday, December 14, 2008

Who Throws a Shoe?

OK, this admittedly has NOTHING to do with the Sox or the Cocks, but I thought it deserved a bit of attention:

In the concluding press conference of his surprise visit to Iraq, President Bush had shoes thrown at him by an angry Iraqi journalist.




There are several things that surprised me. First of all, Bush has much better reflexes than I expected. After all, he isn't getting any younger. Secondly, is it just me, or did it take the Secret Service an awfully long time to get out there? I mean, I'm pretty sure those were other journalists that originally tackled the offending shoe-thrower. Several seconds went by before the SS came out of the door behind the podiums, and it wasn't until the end of the video that several SS agents got to the guy at all. What if it had been something (anything) else that they had thrown at him?

Finally... go to the article I linked to again. Please note that one of the Story Highlights listed on the top reads: "Among Muslims, throwing shoes at someone is considered an insult."

Oh yeah, because in the Western world, that's a freaking greeting.

1 comment:

Connor Tapp said...

Haha, yeah. I wondered many of the same things.

By the grim tone of the news anchors' voice as she interrupted the football game, I thought surely she was going to say that he was assasinated.

And Bush's response when asked about it was, "All I know is that it looked like a size ten." If only his policies were nearly as clever.