Thursday, November 27, 2008

SEC v. Big East

I am trying to straighten out my thoughts on this one, so I thought I'd give my not well thought out two cents and then see what everyone else has to say.

Right now, which conference is better: SEC football or Big East basketball? In the coaches' poll for basketball, the Big East has #2, #3, and #4. In the AP poll for football, the SEC has #1 and #2. Both conferences are unarguably the best in their sport.

My initial reaction is that the Big East in basketball is superior. The Big East has 4 more teams than the SEC, yet is still strong from top to bottom. Last year, South Florida continually gave top teams such as UConn a serious run for their money. The SEC is also strong top to bottom, but Arkansas could play Florida 20 times and not win a single time. There are no such match-ups in the Big East.

1 comment:

Nick Carboni said...

I agree that the Big East basketball conference has the (slight) edge. It's all about depth. The Big East is stacked from UConn to DePaul. The SEC falls off a bit, and this year the West is a little down with Arkansas and LSU having sub-par years. It is an interesting year-to-year debate. Last year SEC football would have definitely been the better conference.